The Best Cheddar Pierogies With Caramelized Onions and Bacon Rcipe For 2020
How To Prepare The Cheddar Pierogies With Caramelized Onions and Bacon Recipe Homemade
Cheddar Pierogie with caramelized onions and bacon
This homemade cheddar pierogi with caramelized onions and bacon is the ideal food for family and friends.
prep time 1 hour
cook time 30 minutes
total time 1 hour 30 minutes
(about 40 pierogies total)
calories 380 kcal
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon kosher salt
2 tablespoons salted butter, melted
1 cup plain full fat greek yogurt, plus more for serving
1 large egg
4 Russet potatoes, peeled and quartered
2 tablespoons salted butter, at room temperature
2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese. plus more for topping
2 ounces cream cheese
kosher salt and black pepper
ONION BUTTER SAUCE
4 thick cut slices bacon, chopped
4 tablespoons salted butter
2 yellow onions, thinly sliced
3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves
US Customary – Metric
1. Prepare the dough. Mix the flour, salt, butter, yogurt and eggs in a medium bowl. Mix the dough for 2-3 minutes. Cover and leave for 30 minutes.
2. Do the filling. Boil the potatoes in a large pot of cold water. Salt the water and cook for about 20-30 minutes until the potatoes are tender.
3. Drain the potatoes, put them back in the pan and squeeze them over low heat. Add butter, cheddar cheese and cream cheese. Season with salt and pepper.
4. Spread the dough on a floured surface to a thickness of 1/8 inch. Cut the 3-inch wheels with a cookie cutter. Add 2 teaspoons of stuffing to the center of each round. Brush edges with water and fold half of dough over filling to wrap. Press the edges to seal while extracting the air. Make sure the dough is covered during work to prevent it from drying out. At this point, Pierogi can be frozen quickly on a baking sheet for 30 minutes, then transferred to a freezer bag and frozen for up to 3 months.
5. At the end of cooking, boil a large saucepan of salt water. Boil the pierogie in portions for 2-3 minutes or until they swim. drain
6. To prepare the butter sauce, cook the bacon in a large skillet over medium heat until crisp. Drain on a paper towel. Clean the pan, then put back on medium heat and dissolve 1 tablespoon of butter. Add the onions and cook for 5 minutes until softened. Add the cider, salt and pepper and cook for another 5-8 minutes, until the cider evaporates and the onions are golden and caramelized. Add the remaining butter and thyme and cook for 2-3 minutes until the butter is golden brown. Remove from fire.
7. Pour the pierogie into the sauce and mix gently. Put pierogie and onion on a plate. Cover with cheddar cheese and bacon. Eat!
1. Add the potatoes and 1 1/2 cups of water. Cover and cook for 12 minutes at high pressure / manually. After cooking, use the natural function or the quick release function and release the steam. Drain the potatoes well.
2. Complete from step 3 as described above.